BECOME A DARG VOLUNTEER!
PLEASE NOTE: To become a volunteer please contact the DARG office to book an orientation.
DARG always appreciates extra helping hands. If you’re over 18, interested in volunteering, but aren’t sure what it’s going to involve, here’s what you need to know. Whatever your skills and interests, there’s a way you can contribute!
- You can choose how often and when you volunteer. It is great if you can commit to a regular day to come in, but we understand that this is your free time, so there’s no obligation to agree to dates upfront. Some people volunteer all day on Saturdays and Sundays. Others come in once a month, or simply pop in for a few hours when they have some spare time. One fabulous lady comes out all the way from Austria once a year and volunteers for a solid month!
- Volunteers can do different types of work. You aren’t forced to do any tasks you aren’t comfortable with. Some people brush cats and dogs, some spend time sitting in the DARG Cat Garden or help out with walking dogs. Others help with cleaning of rooms, washing of litter trays and food bowls etc.
- Please note you must be over 18yrs of age to walk dogs at DARG. You are also required to do a brief orientation with a staff member or regular volunteer – so you know all the “do’s & don’ts” of walking dogs at DARG. Under 18’s are allowed supervised time with young pups.
- Dog walking ORIENTATION is by appointment only every second Saturday from 11.45am. You need to contact the DARG Office to set this up.
- You can also offer your help by sorting and pricing goods for the DARG Garage Sales, you can help with weeding and gardening, doing environmental clean-ups on the farm and along the river bank, or by doing simple handyman work, tiling and painting, fixing of kennels and fences etc.
- Even if you can’t come in to volunteer at the DARG Centre there are ways to help. Refer people to this website. Forward the details of animals looking for homes to your friends by networking their profiles both from this website and from DARG Facebook.
- Collect dog and cat food and newspapers at your school or work. Donate old household goods, books, second hand clothing to DARG to sell at the monthly garage sales for fundraising.
- Link from your blog or website to ours. Or chat to our staff or fundraising team to find other ways to put your skills and connections to good use.
If you’d like to volunteer, CONTACT US!
And to our existing volunteers – THANK YOU!