Adopt a Dog or Cat from DARG
Our dogs and cats are waiting to be swept off their paws into loving homes. If you’re interested in adopting from us please note that strict adoption rules and home checks apply.
When we adopt out a dog or a cat, we want it to be for life. Some of our animals have been through unimaginable hardship and it’s very important to us to know that their forever home is an environment in which they flourish. With this in mind, it is essential that we thoroughly assess each application, and we urge all potential adopting families to consider the commitment they are making. This is why strict adoption rules and home checks apply to every application.
Please note: In some cases follow up visits will be arranged by the team to check how your new family is settling.
A few things to consider
- When considering a new addition to your family be honest with yourself and carefully consider your daily schedule and your lifestyle. Adoption is a lifetime commitment (+-15yrs) that requires careful consideration and planning.
- Do you have the time, finances and planning for both short term & long term?
- Have you considered where you’ll be living in the future (think 2yrs, 5yrs and 10yrs ahead), can you accommodate your furry family member when you move, if you plan on travelling etc? If you’re leasing, you are expected to have written consent that your body corporate or landlord allow pets on the property.
- Puppies require plenty of training, socialisation and supervision in order to be well-adjusted adult dogs. Do you have the time and finances for this? The benefit of adopting a DARG rescue is that our resident certified Animal Behaviourist and Trainer is always available to assist and answer your queries.
- Puppies and rescue dogs require house training, positive obedience training and regular medical attention. An older animal may already have some basic skills and may not be so demanding of your every minute, yet consider dogs and cats can live happy, healthy lives right into their teenage years. Dogs and cats require regular veterinary check-ups, some require special nutrition or emergency care.
- Are you a busy person who is rarely at home? Perhaps a high energy dog or very young puppy who requires attention around the clock, socialisation and training is not the right match for you.
- Tiny kittens also require a watchful eye 24/7, so if you’re out and about a lot, perhaps an adolescent or adult cat is a better fit for you.
- Be realistic! Don’t get a dog because you want to start jogging in the new year, impulse decisions can result in adopting for the wrong reasons. Dogs and cats who are bored and whose daily needs cannot be met may resort to problematic behaviours.
DARG requires that their rescue cats & dogs are very much part of the family. Please note that DARG has strict home checks and adoption contract terms and conditions that apply.
Take all these factors into account before adopting. Our resident certified Animal Behaviourist and Adoption Office Staff are available to help you find the perfect match!
Contact us for more info on the adoption process.